If you are a private tenant, the maximum amount of Housing Benefit you canclaim may be restricted by the Local Housing Allowance rate that applies to your household.
You can work out your household rate using the LHA bedroom calculator:
You are allowed one bedroom for:
- every adult couple
- every adult aged 16 or over
- any two children of the same sex under the age of 16
- any two children under the age of 10
- any other child
An extra bedroom is allowed if you:
- have a foster child or children
- have a severely disabled child who needs their own room
- require overnight care from a non-resident carer
- have a child who is in the armed forces and intends to return home
Shared room rate
The shared room rate applies to under 35s and to some tenants over the age of 35 where they don't have exclusive use of the accommodation and the use of other facilities in the property.
Your room entitlement may be affected if you're a care leaver aged under 25, in receipt of severe disability premium or a former hostel dweller aged under 35.
Once you know your room entitlement check the table below to see the maximum weekly or monthly amount of Housing Benefit that applies to your household.
LHA rates for Plymouth
Once you know your room entitlement check the LHA rates to see the maximum weekly or monthly amount of Housing Benefit that applies to your household.
The current rates for Plymouth are:
|Room requirement||Weekly||Calendar monthly|