Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Chelson Meadow van and trailer permit

Apply for a permit

Vans and trailers are allowed into Chelson Meadow if they have a valid permit. You can also visit Chelson Meadow with a hire van, these do not need a permit, but they must be booked in by emailing

If you're a Plymouth resident you can apply for a free permit. You will need to provide proof of residency and your V5 document as proof of vehicle ownership.

Vans and trailers with a permit can access the site from 8.30am to 5.30pm, seven days a week.

Hire vans must be booked in when visiting Chelson Meadow. Email to book.

Permit information

  • One permit per household is issued to Plymouth residents
  • Permits are not transferable so please let us know if you move house or change your vehicle
  • Permits will not be issued to flatbed/dropside/tipper type vehicles

Number of visits

  • Permits for small vehicles (Vauxhall Corsa size van or trailer under 1.8 metres long) allow you to make 12 trips a year. 
  • Permits for large vehicles (Ford Transit size van or trailer between 1.8 and three metres long) allow you to make six trips a year. 

If you have green or garden waste only it will not count against the number of trips.

Frequently asked questions

Do I need a permit?

Yes, you will need a permit if you want to bring household waste in a van or trailer.

Am I eligible for a permit?

  • Yes if you are a Plymouth resident
  • Only one permit per household/per vehicle is allowed

Are there any vehicles that are excluded from the permit scheme?

  • Any vehicle that is over 3.5 tonnes when fully laden or over 3 metres long
  • Any flatbed or dropside tipper style vehicle

How often does my permit allow me to enter?

  • You will be allowed 6 visits a year for a large van (Ford Transit size) and for a large trailer between 1.8 metres and 3 metres long
  • You will be allowed 12 visits a year for a small van (Ford Fiesta size) and for a small trailer less than 1.8 metres long

How can I apply?

  • Online
  • Call 668000 for more information

What do I need to apply online?

To apply online you’ll need an electronic copy of:

  • Vehicle Registration Document (V5 log book, all pages) this must be registered to your current address
  • your photo card driving licence or a valid paper licence
  • Council Tax or utility bill from the last three months to be uploaded at the time of application

It’s not my vehicle. Can I still apply?

No you need to use your own vehicle.

How long is it valid and how do I renew?

The passes last 12 months and you can renew by using the online facility. You will need all the same evidence as for the first application.

I have changed my address. Is my permit still valid?

Yes your permit is still valid however you will need to email with proof of your address e.g a Council Tax bill or updated driving licence.

I have changed my vehicle. Is my permit still valid?

No you will need to re-apply. This can be done online and evidence will be required. You will need to send your current permit by post to Chelson Meadow. The address is below.

Chelson Meadow
The Ride

I have lost my permit. What should I do?

You will need to reapply for your permit. There will be a £10 charge.

Can I dispose of anything other than household waste?

We will not accept any auto parts (car/motor bike etc.) other than your car battery or your engine oil.

Does my camper van need a permit?

All camper vans require a permit except:

  • Those with windows throughout the vehicle (no panels) and two rows of seats in the back
  • Those with a fitted sink and cooker

We reserve the right to investigate and if necessary withdraw your permit

It is an offence under the Environmental Protection Act (1990) to deposit materials illegally. If you collect or transport materials other than your own household waste you are required to possess a Waste Carriers Licence. Claiming material as household waste when it did not arise from your house is an offence.